Saturday, March 8, 2008

Everyday Heroes

Being essentially a geek at heart, I love watching superhero movies and TV shows with my kids. It's not just the superpowers, great battles or morphing Power Rangers that I like, though. There's something about seeing heroes in action that stirs my spirit.
What is a hero, really?
It's not the ability to fly, turn invisible or pilot a giant robot that makes one heroic. I actually see heroes around me everyday. To me, the essence of heroism is being stronger than your circumstances, sometimes maybe bending but never breaking and at least trying to beat the odds.
Here are some of my heroes...
-A gentleman of my acquaintance who has faced the gravest sort of professional and personal disappointment, yet he and his wife continue to be the very models of strength and faith.
-I have one freind who is in the midst of changing her entire life from top to bottom, yet still has the time and energy to be a great mom to her son and a good freind to me.
-Another freind who is a single mom who more or less is either working or with her kids twenty-four hours a day. Somehow she maintains a positive attitude, is successfully raising two great kids and manages to keep her life running smoothly.

There are many more examples out there...sorry if I left you out.

No comments: