Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Choice, Part One

“The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances.”

The above quote is from Victor Frankl, who was imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp and subsequently wrote the the classic book, "Man's Search For Meaning".
Please understand that I by no means compare myself to someone who spent time in Aushwitz. I will say that I've had my share of challenges of late, something that I've been pretty open about. I could sit here and be angry and bitter and probably be justified in doing so. I could wallow in self-pity and let you pat me on the back and say, "there, there Jim, that's okay."
Thanks, but no thanks.
I choose the better alternative, the high road if you will. I choose to be positive. I choose to forge ahead rather than live in the past.
You can too.
I've seen too many people who choose to be consumed by bitterness and self-pity, and I've seen what it does to them. I've seen how people live in the past and how it darkens the spirit. Rather than that, use the negatives, learn from them and become stronger because of them (not in spite of them, because of them).
Think of it this way... if Victor Frankl can choose his attitude while in a concentration camp, there's absolutely no reason that you and I can't.

No comments: