Wednesday, October 14, 2009

OVERCOME

You may have been knocked on your ass by a divorce or a rough break-up, maybe a job loss. I've been through all three in the past few years (the latter two pretty much at the same time). I've had my ass handed to me in a variety of ways. I've battled depression. I've looked at my life and seen nothing but a mess... some of it my fault, some of it not. I felt defeated. I felt like a loser.

Now it's time to fight back.
You may say it's not fair... others don't have to fight like this. Others don't have to start from square one or maybe even farther back than that. You're right. It's not fair. But if you don't fight back (and fight hard) you're letting those events and people conquer you. So are you really going to let your ex-lover or former boss dictate to you your mood, the course of your life or whether or not you pursue your dreams with a vengeance?
Hell. No.
You and I are made of stronger stuff than than to just fold whenever things get tough. You and I can decide to move forward, push the pain and own our lives again. We can and we have to. It's criminal to waste all that potential you and I have.
Also, let's be mindful of just what we have to fight for. For me, it's my kids, first and foremost. I want to provide a better life for them and be a role model of strength, positivity and discipline. There's also a few people out there who look to me for inspiration. They may be down (but never out!) and need someone to show them the way home.
I also have some dreams and goals and they deserve my best shot... no holding back.

You'll win.
It won't be right away. The path won't be smooth. You may take two steps forward and one step back (or some combination thereof). You may stumble or even fall flat on your face at times. You have to remember to keep moving forward even (or especially) when it's tough. You'll have to call on previously unknown and unused reserves of patience, perseverance and discipline. You can do it, because others have. In fact, you have to move forward. As above you owe it to your loved ones, yourself and your dreams and goals.
Moving forward with your life and moving towards your goals are far and away the best means of taking control. You do that and the steering wheel is now your hands. You control your destiny.

I'm winning.
I was depressed and unemployed for almost six months. Now I have a new job (what's more, a new career) and I'm respected and appreciated by my peers and superiors. It seems I've captured the affections of one of the great women of the western world. I've soundly beaten my former employer via the legal system. I've become a published writer.
I did it not without struggle or heartache. I exerted those reserves of patience, perserverance and discipline. I wanted to give up, to just fold, more times than I could count.
But I didn't and neither will you.

Forge ahead and overcome. You'll win too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was nice Jim. I enjoyed the read and the momentary glimpse into your life. We fight an upstream battle every day but a battle worth in the end.

Alors Et Toi