Monday, December 21, 2009

HOPE

Look into the face of a child. What do you see?
Innocence.
Wonder.
Curiosity.
Hope.
What (hopefully) you don't see is at least as important. I'll talk to some of my adult freinds and I see eyes full of disappointment, faces etched with cynicism and shoulders that bow under the weight of their many burdens... things I never want to see when graced with the presence of a child.
When I look at my own children I see the best of me... both in what I am now and what I could become. I see hope for them and me as well. It's as if all the best aspects of my personality have been dispersed amongst the three of them.
Peter, my oldest, is intelligent, thoughtful and sensitive. My hope for him is that he continues to develop his gifts and learn that his emotions are his to control and not someone else. I also wish for him to always use that amazing imagination of his, yet not forget to live in the real world.
David, my oldest twin, and therefore my de-facto middle child, is mature, responsible and confident. I hope his core of confidence never becomes twisted into arroagnce, as I've seen happen to so many. I can see him becoming a leader one day, and I want him to lead others to do good and achieve great things.
Joanthan is positive, happy, upbeat and loves animals. I hope that he is able to temper that positivity with some degree of pragmatism, while never, ever becoming cynical and negative. I wish for him to continue to love all creatures, animal and human. People may, at times, be harder to love than a cute kitten or an adorable puppy but ultimately they can give so much more back to you.
Most of all I wish for my three boys to be the best they can and learn to be strong in the face of any adversity and setback they may yet encounter. I hope that they truly live their lives and not hide all they have to offer the world. I'll do all I can to be a role model for them. That inspires me to be my best and to truly live my life as well.

No comments: