Monday, January 28, 2008

Jared's first sales call

I was in my office today going through some emails. The phone rang, and since the receptionist was out for lunch and I'm such a team player, I answered.
"(Staffing company I work for), this is Jim, can I help you?"
"Yeah, hey, this is Jared from (some health insurance company)."
After a pause...
"Um...hi Jared, what can I do for you today?"
"(something unintelligible)"
"I'm sorry, what's that again?"
"Oh, just how you doin' today?"
"I'm fine, thanks. What's up?"
"Well, we're gonna be down your way next week and wanted to make sure you were covered."
And I'm thinking, covered? With what? A sweet, sugary glaze?
"You mean health insurance?"
"Yeah, health insurance. Are you covered?"
"Yeah, we actually have a pretty good plan here. We're good."
"Okay...okay, well we just wanted to make sure everyone was covered."
"Thanks for your concern, Jared."
"Hey, no problem, man."

Even though speaking with this young gentleman gave me a sudden urge to down a vodka tonic or two, I should be proud that I was involved in what I presume was his first sales call ever.
Kudos to you, young Jared.

No comments: