Monday, February 18, 2008

How To Annoy a Recruiter

I've been working in the recruiting/ staffing field for a good long time...over twelve years now, actually. I've met some great people and some not-so-great people. I've learned alot. What follows are a few things that people do to really screw up in their job hunt, especially when working with a recruiter or staffing professional.
-Not Show Up. This past week I was working to fill an industrial assembler job. I had four people scheduled to come in to interview with me. Only one of the four bothered to show up. The rest didn't even bother to call. What sort of reception do you think those three will get next time they call looking for work (as they inevitably will)? I think you know the answer to that.
-Act like a jerk. That same day interviewed a recent college grad for a customer service position. He was snide, condescending and rather obnoxious. Simply put, he was acting like a jerk. He said to me at one point, "Is there something wrong with my tie?" I said there wasn't. "Oh, well you've been staring at it this whole time." No I wasn't actually. And no, I won't be referring him to any clients. I would have to wonder whether he'd act in a similar fashion on an interview with said clients. All this kid accomplished by acting like he did was look like fool and ensure that no one from my firm would ever consider him as a viable candidate for anything. Ever.
-Whine about paperwork. Why do employers and staffing firms make you fill out applications and tax forms and I9 forms? There's a reason for it. So don't whine about it.
-Interrupt me. This is my pet peeve of the week. This morning I called two people on that. One of them took exception to my protest. Too bad. I hadn't interrupted him, so why is it okay to do it to me?
-Treat me like I'm stupid. I've been successful as a recruiter for a reason...I know what I'm doing. Just because I don't understand everything you do about Material Requirements Planning doesn't mean I'm not qualified to talk to you. When you condescend to me, I have to assume you'll treat my client in the same fashion.
In the end, it's important to remember that you should work in a respectful manner with your freindly neighborhood staffing professional. When you don't keep an appointment or act like a condescending jerk, we have to assume you'll act the same way when we put you in front of a client.

No comments: