Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I am a rockstar

Today I taught my first Junior Achievement classes of the semester. I am actually teaching two classes this year, kindergarten (my twins) and third grade (Peter, my oldest). This is something I've done every year since Peter was in kindergarten.
I do believe in what Junior Achievement does. I think it's important for kids to learn about the economy and the world of work. I remember when I was in college helping a freshman write a check. Her parents had opened a checking account for her, but she hadn't the slightest idea what to do with it. That's actually not uncommon. Many otherwise intelligent adults are utterly clueless when it comes to personal finance and investing. I'm no Warren Buffett, but I constantly find that my financial acumen is leagues ahead of other adults. Granted, I won't be teaching kindergarteners and third graders about managing credit card debt or rolling over their IRA, but I figure they'll get something of a jump start in that regard.
What's even cooler is that these kids really seem to enjoy having me there. I remember more than once I'd see one of my students while shopping or something. They'd almost invariably tug at their parent's sleeve and say, "that's Peter's dad!"
That would never fail to make me feel like a rockstar.

1 comment:

T. Edlin said...

Welcome to my world. Feels pretty great, doesn't it!?! Of course, with middle school, some days you feel like a rockstar, and some days you get called a bi*** to your face. It all builds character! :)