Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Job Board Follies

A few months ago, before I got my current job, I was registered with three of the big job boards...Monster, CareerBuilder and HotJobs. I still get emails from them, usually solicitations to apply for various positions. I have to say that I'm more than a little disturbed that at least one of those sites allows emails for obvious scams, such as the old, "we are a foreign company and wish you to be our financial intermediary".
Recently I have been invited to apply for a few accounting positions. The emails state that I'm very qualified for such positions and would be a great candidate. Best of all, I was asked to apply for an accounting position at a famous talent agency in Hollywood.
Um...no.
I have absolutely no experience in accounting. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. I have also made it abundantly clear that I will, under no circumstances relocate.
That begs the question as to why anyone thinks I'm qualified for such a position and why the "Senior Recruiter" at the aforementioned Hollywood talent agency thinks I should apply. Did he not look at my resume? Is he just sending out the same email to everyone registered with the job board? In any case, he's simply not doing a very good job of being a "senior recruiter".

Quick update: Just hours after posting this I got yet another email asking me to apply for yet another accounting gig. Wow.

No comments: