Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Movie Reviews 2/20/08

Gone, Baby, Gone- Dark, gritty, compelling and rough. Well-acted, written, directed and shot. By no means is this the happiest, most life-affirming movie out there (in fact, far from it), but worth every second I spent watching it. Curse you Ben Affleck, with your chiseled good looks and prodigious talent. This movie was his directorial debut, and I would guess he has quite a future ahead of him as a filmmaker.

Martian Child- A widowed science-fiction writer adopts a really weird kid who thinks he's from Mars. This sounds like it has all the makings of a quirky comedy, but I found it had much to say about the importance of having a loving parent in a child's life. John Cusack was excellent as always.

Waitress- I found that this was a bit too "southern-fried" at times for my tastes, but overall very enjoyable. Adrienne Shelly, who wrote, directed and acted in this, died before the film's release...very sad. Kerri Russell is adorable as always.

The Jane Austen Book Club- Surprisingly entertaining, especially considering how I don't believe I've ever read one word Jane Austen has written. A group of women (and one man) get together once a month to discuss Austen's novels and their romantic lives play out in a fashion similar to her books (I guess). Also, I may just fall in love with Emily Blount.

Ira and Abby- A couple of New Yorkers with emotional problems decide to get married after having known each other for only a few hours. I know it sounds like sort of a "Woody Allen Lite" type scenario, but it wasn't too bad. The leads, Chris Messina and Jennifer Westfeldt (who also wrote the screenplay) have great chemistry.

No comments: